Friday 17 June 2011

My first Birthday - by Samuel D Shrubsole.

Today I’m feeling very important because it’s my first Birthday.  I want to tell you about all the exciting things I’ve seen in the last few days.

The last few days in the big city were very hectic, and I seemed to spend a lot of time in the back of a car while Mummy and Daddy rushed around meeting people, buying things for us and sorting out all my injections.  I had fun playing with some new friends, but I was also sad to see other children not much older than me begging on the streets.

Yesterday we left the big city.  Our big car was full of bags and boxes and there was another big car with Alex and Chris full of more bags and boxes – it looked like lifting them all in and out was hard work so I kept out of the way!  The journey was long – 370 kilometres and it took five and a half hours of driving.  Mummy and Daddy shared the driving and seemed pleased that so many of the roads had new proper tarmac on them.  I got bored after a while and annoyed with all the big speedhumps so we took a long stop for lunch in a lovely looking place called Fort Portal and I was able to crawl around and chase a cat on the terrace of a restaurant.

The view was beautiful as we drove towards the mountains which mark the edge of Uganda.  I saw lots of cows and thousands of big trees – even Christmas trees which you don’t expect in Africa.  Some people walking to fetch water or out of school waved at me, so I waved back because I’m a friendly boy.

When we got to our new house in Kasese none of us could believe how big it is – and the garden is even bigger.  It’s got banana trees, papaya trees, a young mango tree and a whole separate building where some Christian lawyers work – all with a massive wall around it with pretty flowers growing over the top and some metal gates.  I was very pleased to sleep in my proper cot for the first time in ages and to have my very own bedroom.

When I got up this morning all the boxes and bags had been packed away and there were nice pictures up to remind me of all my family and friends in England.  Mummy and Daddy had a meeting with a Pastor who their going to work with – apparently a Pastor is the African word for a Vicar or Minister - I don’t really know, I took a morning nap.  I had lots of lovely cards and presents to open today.  Thank you very much to everyone who sent me something, they made me smile.  This house has a really long corridor and a concrete floor so I’ve had great fun pushing my “Samitruck” that Grandpa made me, or getting rides on it.

I like having our own home again, but it seems we aren’t the only ones living here.  There was a big heron in the garden today and a few small lizards on the walls. There was also a cockroach in Mummy and Daddy’s room which Mummy didn’t like.  Every time I spill some food or make a mess hundreds of ants come and try and eat it up, so Mummy and Daddy are constantly cleaning up after me – but they had good training at Grandpop’s house.
This afternoon we walked into town and went to the market to get food.  It was very hot and lots of people wanted to say hello to me, and to pinch my white skin.  At first I thought they were wishing me a happy birthday, but it turns out they just aren’t used to seeing white babies here.  It’s been an exciting week, I wonder what my next birthday will be like?

No comments:

Post a Comment